The Emergency Department Return Visit Quality Program is a new initiative focused on improving the quality of care in Ontario’s emergency departments.
Research has shown that monitoring return visits to the emergency department is an efficient way to identify adverse events and quality issues. Through this program, Ontario’s hospitals will be asked to review data on return visits to their emergency department, conduct audits to identify the underlying causes of these return visits and take steps to address these underlying causes.
If you have any questions about the Emergency Department Return Visit Quality Program, please contact us at EDQuality@HQOntario.ca.
Guidance Material for the Emergency Department Return Visit Quality Program
Health Quality Ontario has prepared the following resources for participants in this program.
- Introductory Guidance: Read this guidance document for an overview of the program, including a timeline for program implementation
- Frequently Asked Questions: Find the answers to common questions about the Emergency Department Return Visit Quality Program
- How to Conduct an Audit: Read this companion document to the Audit Template for step-by-step instructions on how to conduct an audit
- Audit Template: Download this template to record your audit results. You will submit the completed template as part of your annual submission to Health Quality Ontario
- Narrative Template: Download this template to describe your institution's experience in this program. You will submit the completed template as part of your annual submission to Health Quality Ontario